Donate

Anti-Islam Dutch MP says no more sacrilegious cartoon contest

Anti-Islam Dutch MP says no more sacrilegious cartoon contest

Dutch lawmaker and anti-Islam campaigner Geert Wilders said he has no plans, for now, to revive the blasphemous caricatures contest after it emerged as a motive for a stabbing in…

Tuesday, 11 September 2018 10:43

Amsterdam last week.

Wilders, speaking on the sidelines of a conference in Italy, expressed shock over the attack, in which a man stabbed and injured two American tourists at Amsterdam’s central station. Dutch media identified the assailant as a 19-year-old Afghan.

The attack came after Wilders cancelled plans to hold the controversial cartoon competition.

“For now I will not be doing it soon again, for sure,” Wilders said at the Ambrosetti conference, where he had been invited to speak on the future of the European Union, Reuters reported.

“On the one hand you say that you should never give in to people who threaten to use violence against freedom of speech,” he said, adding that he had spent 15 years living in safe houses and escorted by a security detail due to constant death threats.

“If it would have been only about me, I would have continued and done it again but it was not only about me — it was about innocent people,” he said.

This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply